Sweat Free Baseball Campaign
Who We Are:
We are working to get sweatshops out of Major League Baseball by encouraging fans and community members to hold their local teams accountable, and by fighting for FREE SPEECH in and around stadiums which were built with our support!
We currently have active groups in the following cities:
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- New York City
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- E-mail - email@example.com
We have already suffered police repression for speaking to fans about this issue. Four of our members were arrested and jailed on trumped-up charges which were later dropped. As a result of this, we WON the right to organize in the area around PNC Park in Pittsburgh.
We have spread our message across the country, and fellow workers in NY and Milwaukee have been fighting to have their teams take responsibility for using sweatshop-made apparel.
Since Major League Baseball has the contracts with sweatshop operators, we need YOU to organize a No Sweatshops! group in your hometown. We need to put the pressure on all teams, and push for community collective bargaining around these issues! The teams and cities use our money and space -- let's take control back --AGITATE!
News and Actions
- September 25, 2002 - Stopping Sweatshop Labor in Sports.
- July 14, 2002 - Community Collective Bargaining with the Home Team.
- June 24, 2002 - More Great News! (Legal Update).
- August 27, 2004 - Who Put The 'B' On Your Baseball Cap?.
- March 2, 2005 - No Sweatshops Bucco! Prepares for 2005.
- February 4, 2005 - Team 4 Investigation: 'Big Ben' Shirts.
- February 2005 - No Sweatshops Bucco! Leaflet (PDF File).
- December 31, 2004 - Multi-Fiber Education on Roberto Clemente Bridge.
- November 23, 2004 - Bangladesh Center for Worker Solidarity Come to Freedom Corner.
- October 12, 2004 - Big Charlie K Offers to Educate the Pittsburgh Pirates About Sweatshops.
- September 28, 2004 - Pittsburgh Sports and Exhibition Authority Explains Gildan to the Buccos (PDF)
- September 11, 2004 - Steve Biko Day Letter to Honduras (PDF).
- August 27, 2004 - Pirates/MBNA Dump Gildan.
- August 24, 2004 - Gildan Sweatshop Education at Dollar Dog Night.
- July 21, 2004 - SweatFree All Star Game 2006 Announced.
- May 28, 2002 - New Era Cap Strike Support PNC Park.
- May 12, 2002 - Rain Cancels Baseball Games Sweatshop Education Goes On.
FREE SPEECH AT PNC PARK? - Activists Arrested for talk About Sweatshops With Pirate Fans.
- Ongoing - Anti-Sweatshop Trading Cards.
- April 14, 2002 - What Happened at the PNC Park Anti-Sweatshop Home Opener.
- April 13, 2002 - Protesters to Make Pitch Outside Baseball Stadium.
- April 12, 2002 - More Great News! (Legal Update).
- April 11, 2002 - Anti-Sweatshop Home Opener.
Workers earn $2.00 U.S. per day at this U.S. owned baseball factory in Port au Prince, Haiti.